Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Arey, yaar - main India mein hoon

Under the rattling fan, my mattress snuggly covering the remaining floor space of the hostel room, one bleary eye peaked down at my frantically blinking phone. It was 4am in Bangalore, and I was awake enough to be pulled in by the unusual number of alerts then calling my attention. Over half a dozen emails at this time of day - something must've happened. Sure enough, Latin America is now short one notorious Venezuelan.

The NYT "breaking news" update awaiting me was enough to have me popping up in bed, freakishly alert while the other girls snoozed around me. Must see the news! Must tweet! Forgetting the fact that it was then going on a rather muggy 5am, I switched into twitter mode and was quickly engaged in a brief back-and-forth to the East Coast (damn time zones). The resulting 140-character-or-under updates led me here, thanks to the concluding comment of one ever-eloquent and inspiring fellow: "You best be blogging that shizzy!" I promised I would, so long as he kept the word "shizzy" somewhere in his repertoire.


It's been a while, my dear blogosphere you. Now don't feel jilted, I've tossed around the idea of a new post now and again, even drafted a few, but the Cancerian in me ran from sharing mode before the mouse could reach "Post." That, and there's my on-going conflict with writing: the necessary belief that what I have to say is somehow worth your taking the time to read it. Serendipitous, maybe, but my last post seemed a suiting final word anyway.

But then, writing is a never-ending process - a bit masochistic, that whole business. In any case. July to now has carried me through the end of my time in India, brief visits to Nepal, Germany, and DC, wandering and working in DC, and, most recently, back to India. So now that we're all caught up... let the games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment